Thursday, July 8, 2010

RAYMOND PALEN

World War II Interview


By: Kimsey M. "Mac" Fowler

Typed By: Jimmie B. Fowler

October 5, 2000



Raymond "Ray" Nelson Palen

228 Ridge Circle

Dublin, GA 31021



On December 7, 1941 I was in Hagaman, New York painting the kitchen ceiling for my Mother. The radio was on and I heard about the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. I was in High School at the time. Graduation was in 1942 and I knew then the way things were going with the War that it wouldn't be long before I was drafted. I favored the Army and was going to request it at induction. The draft notice was received in February 1943.



I was called to serve in April 1943, shipped to Camp Upton, New York for induction. From there to Atlantic City for Basic Training, then to New York Trade School for a basic introduction to electricity.



The next stop was Jefferson Barracks, Missouri for Overseas Training. As an aside I wondered why we spent so much time training on cargo nets. I found out later at our final destination. I came to appreciate the training.



From Jefferson Barracks, we were shipped to Camp Stoneman, California. After being there for a month doing nothing, we inquired about our pay. They said, "Wow, are you guys still here? We need to move you out!"





We shipped out for Hawaii in December 1943 for Hawaii ending up at Hickam Field adjacent to Pearl Harbor, where more than half of the Navy in the Pacific was destroyed. We ended up on the second floor of a Barracks at Hickam, which had taken some hits from the Japanese bombers. The stairs were o.k. but the floor was full of craters, which we had to dodge to find a clearing to set up our cots. That was interesting because there were no lights and once it got dark flashlights were taboo.



I was assigned to a Signal Section of the Air Corps. Our duties consisted of keeping an inventory and filling orders for radio, radar tubes, parts, etc.



In December 1944 a group of us were shipped to a small airfield in central Oahu. There the 621st Air Material was being formed to later join up with a Headquarters Squadron and an Engineering Squadron which was designated the 363rd Service Group to be assigned to the VIIth Fighter Command. Among the personal items we were issued was an extra third blanket. This kept us guessing as to where we were going. In Hawaii one blanket was satisfactory. We joked that they were just loading us down.



January 1945 saw our group shipped out of Honolulu, destination unknown. We joined a convoy of other APA's (personnel assault ships) cargo ships, an aircraft carrier, cruisers, and destroyers. We were given a good tour of the Pacific zigzagging around for thirty plus days. We had one stop during that time at a small island for some R & R for one big day.



The speed of the convoy slowed down after those thirty plus days and didn't pick up speed. Our first indication we were there. We dropped anchor and were told we were off the coast of Iwo Jima, (big surprise to me because I had never heard of the place).



We were allowed to go out on deck some (could see the shoreline in the distance, a lot of smoke and could hear what sounded like blasting). We were informed that we would be going ashore as soon as the island was declared secure. During our waiting time, the air raid warning would sound indicating we were under attack. The Japanese had an air base a Chichi Jima and would send aircraft down to drop a few bombs. They were more of a nuisance than a threat. I never heard of any damage from them.



I don't recall the date but we were told that Admiral Nimentz had declared the island secure and we were going ashore early the next morning. I shall always recall that morning as we had all our personal belongings on our backs. As a squad leader I also had a submachine gun loaded and an additional ninety rounds of ammo in a bag around my neck. This is where I really appreciated the training on cargo nets, as we had to go over the side down to this landing craft bobbing in the ocean. I made it over and down the net with no problems. A number of our people threw their leg over and ended up in the landing craft. I was to learn later that what Admiral Nimitz declared secure was somewhat different than my definition.



As soon as we landed we were told to move up the beach as fast as we could and dig a good big foxhole and get in it. We were in and out of the foxhole for about a week while the Marines cleared the area where we were to set up camp at airstrip # 2. The Seabees were starting work on the strip. Once we moved up to our assigned area we had to dig new foxholes. Four people worked on each using steel mesh sheets for the top and sandbags on top of the mesh. (The steel mesh was left at the beach by the Marines who used them for footing in the volcanic ash.)



Since we had been there we were on K rations (dry) which we carried with us. About the time we were issued C ration (canned) some of the fellows found some bags of Japanese rice. We all turned in our cans of beef stew to the mess Sgt. He boiled up the rice mixed it with the beef stew and that was our first hot meal on Iwo. There was no fresh water on the island and all the water was brought in 55 gal. Drums. We had a canteen of fresh water a day. We drank it, washed with it and cleaned our teeth.



The Japanese would come out of the caves in the evening looking for food and water. Many mornings at sunrise we would climb out of our shelters and find them dead in our area. One night we heard more gun fire than normal and learned that a group of Japanese came out of their caves, got behind the guards on duty and killed a good number of our pilots. It was a real blow to our fighter group.

A Marine approached me, at one of the Iwo Jima Reunions I attend. Seeing I was with the Air Corps asked me how this could ever happen. I had no answer.



Meanwhile the Marines continued to dig the enemy out of the caves using the old fashioned steam shovels, flame throwers, and the P-51's'of our group using bombs. Another Marine whom I met at a convention told me that the P-51's'sure helped them out. The enemy was well fortified and the forty-five days of bombing and shelling prior to the invasion had not disturbed them. They were so well holed up in those caves there was no way we could break their moral, that and the love for the Emperor.



Eventually we started getting our supplies ashore and one of the jobs I was assigned to was getting the lumber for the tent platforms to our area, our permanent quarters until December.



Another interesting aspect of living on Iwo Jima was taking a shower.

A large tank was erected at approximately ten feet and filled with hot sulfur water from the volcano, which was under the island. The water was pumped early in the morning and by early evening it would be cool for a shower.



It was necessary that we take the island of Iwo Jima because the B-29's flying with bombs to Tokyo had to take a much longer route to get to the Japanese mainland to avoid the fighters on Iwo Jima. In addition the crippled bombers returning from the mainland needed a plane to land to avoid ditching at sea. There was a tremendous loss of life on Iwo including the Marines, the 147th Infantry, the Naval Coreman and many others.



I did nothing exciting on the island. No hand to hand combat and all that I was one of the fortunate ones.



I was on Iwo Jima for the full time and on the first of December 1945 I disembarked for home. We took a northern route to the States going up to the Aleutians and down the West Coast of Canada and the U.S. That was the roughest trip I had while touring the Pacific. We were in one storm after another. We spent most of the time below deck. That didn't make for many good friends because you get on each others nerves below deck in those close quarters for eighteen days.



We disembarked at San Perdo, California and were trucked over to Camp Hahn and waited for transportation to Fort Dix, New Jersey. Our transportation to Fort Dix was by train. With my luck, I was in a coach built in the late 1800's, hard leather seats and gas lights. The last night I gave my Buddy the seat and I lay down in front of the seat with my legs out in the isle.



Each year I attend a reunion with the Veterans of Iwo Jima. It's interesting being an Air Corps member. The Marines were a rowdy bunch and at one time they wanted nothing but Marine's to attend but as we have all gotten older and mellowed, there is no friction and everyone is a buddy.



The reunions are held in the Southeastern States, any State bordering the Gulf from Texas to Florida. It's interesting to hear them tell of what they went through and the sacrifices they made.



When I returned home, I elected not to go to College. In High School I took a four-year course on the art of dyeing textile material and was lucky to get a job with Mohawk Carpet. I first worked in the dye lab and worked my way up in management jobs retiring in 1986 as Vice President Product Development.



I was from Upstate New York. My father was Hector Palen, from around Palentown, New York. My father's people worked in the carpet industry downstate.



My mother was Lillian Fisher from near the Canadian Border. Her people were dairy farmers.



My wife is the former Joyce Seward. . We were married in 1948. Her parents were Donald and Elizabeth Seward. Some of her ancestors go back to the Seward that purchased Alaska.



Joyce and I have one son, Mark and two grandsons, Christopher and Brian.



I was transferred by Mohawk Carpet to Dublin in 1982. Therefore I am qualified as a World War II Veteran from Laurens County.

No comments:

Post a Comment