Thursday, July 8, 2010

LEE ROY ROZIER

World War II Interview


23 September, 2000

By: Kimsey M. "Mac" Fowler

Typed By: Jimmie B. Fowler



Lee Roy Rozier

1243 Carver Street

Dublin, GA 31021







I was December 6, 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.



I was drafted into the Army when I lived in Newnan, Georgia. I was selling insurance there. I went to Fort Benning for my basic training.

I was sent to Casablanca in Northern Africa for several months. The fighting part of the war was over in Africa when I was there. All of our travels from one location to the other in Europe were by sea.



From there I was assigned to Leghorn (also called Livorno), Italy for about nineteen months. My job in the service was clerical and supply work. The ships would come in to the dock and my responsibility was to keep records of the supplies coming in and issued.



I was in France and stayed there until the war ended in Europe.



At this time we were being sent to the Far East to help with the war in the Pacific. On the way over we received word that the war was over and we went on to the Philippines anyway. We stayed there approximately three months before sailing back to the US through the Panama Canal to Texas. We made this trip on a Liberty Ship and fortunately it was not very crowded. I went to Atlanta from Texas by train and was discharged there.



I was twenty-seven years old when I was drafted.



My rank was Tech Sgt.4.



While I was in service my wife returned to Dublin and this is where I settled when I got discharged. This was home for both of us.



After being discharged, I started to work at Robins Air Force where I retired in 1976.



My father was Lee Rozier. My mother was Carrie Belle. My wife, Carrie Lawrence is deceased. We had no children, but we helped to take care of a lot of them.



PLEASE NOTE: Mr. Rozier is 85 years old and didn't remember too well. Therefore, his interview was rather short.

No comments:

Post a Comment